[FoRK] Literature: DH Lawrence

Corinna < corinna.schultz at gmail.com > on > Wed Jun 7 19:16:16 PDT 2006

In an effort to be more educated (and not just a sci-fi geek) I picked up a
collection of DH Lawrence. I knew nothing about him, but I was intrigued by the
title of the collection : The Erotic Works of DH Lawrence. Well, I thought, if
it's erotic, it has to be interesting...

The first story is The Trespasser. I must say, it's really not erotic. How
disappointing. I'm about two thirds of the way through, so I think it will
probably continue to not be erotic...

Anyway, here's my point: I don't know much about literature, but Wikipedia says
that he's a Modernist, and was heavily influenced by WWI. From what I've read so
far, his writing seems to be kind of a cross between Romatic extremity and
Existential angst. So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows the relationship
between Modernist writing and Existential thought.

I know Sartre was (or at least people say he was) influenced by WWII, and so
that may simply be the similarity I'm seeing. I'm wondering if there's a more
direct lineage, however.

-Corinna