[FoRK] Barbados (was: Ithaca, indeed :)

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Thu Jun 8 20:47:43 PDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why can't we get 10,000 nerds and 2,000 rich people to
> move to Barbados, so we can start a technology hub in
> the Caribbean. The advantage to Barbados is that it has
> British customs and laws, it is a bit south of hurricane
> alley, so it doesn't get hammered every couple of years,
> and it already has a couple hundred thousand people, so
> a degree of infrastructure is in place. But I'm easy.
> Let's choose the island and start Silicon Beach. ;-)

I'm ready. Couple points:

* I still wouldn't rule out Miami. It is overflowing with
irresponsible cash (read: investment with minimal oversight) and
actually has a building code, if you're worried about that hurricane
thing. Quick flights to places with actual culture, too. Downside:
drugs and nightclubs don't count as culture; no decent technical
universities; sprawl is like the Valley's but without any hills.

* Cuba whenever Castro falls may be an even better option- even more
irresponsible cash will flow in there, and when it is rebuilt, the
technical infrastructure will immediately become the best in the
Carribean, as it will start from scratch. It isn't implausible that U.
Havana could also provide technically oriented bodies- it was once one
of the more respected universities in the hemisphere (it is the
oldest) and could be again. (It is probably still the best university
in the caribbean, despite Fidel's best efforts.) Downside: language
barrier, having to wait for Fidel to fall, which as my grandparent's
generation will tell you is not necessarily the most fruitful
activity.

Luis