[FoRK] Ithaca, indeed :)

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Fri Jun 9 05:26:00 PDT 2006

On 6/9/06, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:

> "Luis Villa" writes:
> >On 6/8/06, Owen Byrne <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:
> >> I found this piece and this other similar piece  -
> >> http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/06/how_to_kick_sil.html
> >>
> >>  - kinda insular and self-serving. How to innovate? - the only way is
> >> the way we did it. I found Paul Graham's mention of Detroit evocative -
> >> once upon a time Detroit was an innovative place (and the main driver of
> >> the US economy), then suddenly it wasn't. What happened? Did
> >> Especially since there are people
> >> (http://www.isc.hbs.edu/econ-clusters.htm) who have done systematic
> >> research on just this subject, rather than just pontificating.
> >> Its interesting that these similar pieces appeared so close together. It
> >> seems like the hype is at a peak now. In 2002 these would be laughable.
> >> I suspect they'll be laughable again in 2007.
> >
> >Would they have been laughable in 2002? Would you still have wanted to
> >start a company anywhere else?
>
> hmm.
>
>   - Flickr: Vancouver iirc
>   - upcoming.org: LA
>   - del.icio.us: NY

How many of these had more than 3-4 employees- none, right? I guess
when I say 'start a company' I mean 'one that has to hire a lot of
people'; it was becoming clear in 2002 (and I think is very clear now)
that if you only need 3-4 people and have low capital needs you can
start your company anywhere on earth that has decent broadband.

Luis