[FoRK] Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 32, Issue 8

Wayne Baisley < baisley at alumni.rice.edu > on > Sat Jun 10 08:14:35 PDT 2006

Herman in a nutshell:

"Call me Ishmael."
"I would prefer not to."

Cheers,
Wayne

"In general, it is the non-psychological novel that offers the richest
opportunities for psychological elucidation.  Here the author, having no
intentions of this sort, does not show his characters in a psychological light
and thus leaves room for analysis and interpretation, or even invites it by
his unprejudiced mode of presentation...  I would also include Melville's Moby
Dick, which I consider to be the greatest American novel, in this broad class
of writings."  (Carl Jung in The Spirit in Man, Art, and Literature, 1967)