[FoRK] Writing styles and Cherryh

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Sat Jun 10 11:26:59 PDT 2006

Cherryh's style in Downbelow Station is semi-stream of consciousness.
The character's voice really comes through since she does
tough/intense/compressed/hard-edged very well.

Her latest SF series -- the one starting with Foreigner, Invader, etc.
-- is especially good.  Cherryh gets to do what she does best, which
is create interesting aliens, and the later books build upon the
earlier ones in a very satisfying way.  And she gets to create more
aliens, as well as some relatively alien humans, along the way.

Also recommended are Heavy Time, Finity's End, and (less popular) her
fantasy novels, like Rusalka and Yvgenie.

About the only thing I can say that I don't like about Cherryh (other
than adding a 'h' to her name to make it sound more exotic) is that
she's succumbing to Grand Unification Syndrome.  GUS occurs when an
author tries to bridge or link all of her/his works into a single
consistent future chronology and universe.  Asimov caught it when he
decided that The Caves of Steel future wasn't totally inconsistent
with Foundation, The Currents of Space, etc. and others have as well.

Ken

Heck, it'd probably be worth your effort to track down her early
paperbacks as well.  I don't have them, but as I recall, they were
quite good as well.