[FoRK] Humanities...

Elias Sinderson < elias at soe.ucsc.edu > on > Mon Jun 12 10:55:03 PDT 2006

Joe Barrera wrote:

> Corinna wrote:
>
>>  On a slightly related note, I have a hard time seeing value in
>> Shakespeare
>
> [..] please make the effort to become familiar enough with
> Shakespearean English to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll just be missing so
> much.

+1

I've often been struck by the use of plot lines (in modern tales) that I
was introduced to through Shakespeare. If you can't stomache the raw
dialogue as text, I would make the same recommendations thet others have
to experience it through theater or film. Skimming the cliff notes
beforehand is an excellent way to familliarize yourself with the general
plot, who's who and so on, thereby leaving more room for enjoying the
drama without being confused. The language barrier is probably the most
difficult thing to overcome, but one can often guess the meanings of
words from their context, even if this means that most of the (often
bawdy) puns will go unnoticed. Also, if you're watching a film at home,
it affords you the ability to pause / rewind as necessary, have ongoing
discussions with anyone else who is watching it with you and to have
various resources on hand for reference during the viewing.

As far as Shakespeare is concerned, familliarity breeds amusement, both
in the re-presentations and fresh interpretations of the original works
as well as in the (direct or indirect) references found in modern
dramas. For me, the real value of knowing Shakespeare is the depth that
it brings to other works, whether written or performed. That it requires
a bit of effort is recognized, but there are literally a ton of
resources at your disposal and is considered by many to be well worth it.

Good luck,
Elias