[FoRK] Humanities...

Damien Morton < fork at bitfurnace.com > on > Mon Jun 12 11:57:37 PDT 2006

Oh yeah. and... "Taming of the Shrew": with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061407/

Love this review of it :
"""
What a hash. You should know that Shakespeare wrote comedies set in
Italy because Italians were seen as comical. The way they elaborated
language apart from meaning. The way they dressed where the decor had
nothing to do with the purpose, so far outstripping it that by
Elizabethan conventions just seeing an Italian in dress would elicit
guffaws. Shakespeare's plays were essentially without sets, so some of
the language would be designed to have the audience imagine a humorous
excess of surrounding.

Now along comes an Italian to reshape the plays. And he brings the very
excess that is the whole tenor of the joke. And along comes an actor
that -- quite independent of that -- wants to turn what is a tussle of
words into a tussle of emotions. This is also an Italian flaw that
Elizabethans would have laughed at.
"""