[FoRK] Writing styles and Cherryh

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Tue Jun 13 10:14:52 PDT 2006

I'd disagree about Bujold -- way too sentimental, although at times
she gets close to Cherryh's intensity (particularly in her fantasy
works -- Miles Vorkosigan's universe is a bit light-hearted and
satirical, I think.)

I do like Sheri Tepper.  And you might want to track down Terry
McGarry's books, or Rosemary Kirstein's.  And no one does alternate
history/weird mind games  like Mary Gentle.  Or, in case you think I
only read women authors, Tim Powers and James Blaylock are somewhat
lighter in tone, but still quite intense.

These are fantasy books (or in the case of Kirstein's, apparently
fantasy).  Fewer SF authors use the same techniques as Cherryh,
although there are a few:  Camouflage by Joe Haldeman is a great read,
with lots of bizaare sex, for example.   John Ford might come closest,
especially if you like erudite mind-blowing concepts, or George RR
Martin's latest series (or Fevre Dream, one of his older books).

I've been reading a lot of historical fiction lately: Gillian
Bradshaw, Iain Pears (An Instance of the Fingerpost, various others.

Ken Meltsner

On 6/13/06, Strata R. Chalup <strata at virtual.net> wrote:

> Lois McMaster Bujold, Julian May (Galactic Milieu series, the trillium books are
> fluff imo), Sheri Tepper.
>
> Joe Barrera wrote:
> > P.S. So I guess another way of asking my question would be...
> > do you know anyone else that writes like Cherryh? What I
> > love about her writing is that it is so dense and compact
> > that I can't skim it or read it when I'm tired. ...
> --

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream