[FoRK] Shakespeare and Lawrence

Elias Sinderson < elias at soe.ucsc.edu > on > Tue Jun 13 10:50:15 PDT 2006

Malcolm Greenshields wrote:

> Elias Sinderson wrote:
>
>> Malcolm Greenshields wrote:
>>
>>> For a good time read Shakespeare, Alice Munro, Henry Miller, Cormac
>>> Mcarthy, Guy Vanderhaeghe, Raymond Chandler, and especially Jane
>>> Austen.
>>
>> In that order?   ;-)
>> Honestly, since you mentioned him, I consider McCarthy to be one of
>> Americas national treasures. From what I understand, I am not alone
>> in this.
>
> Me too, though I'm not American. The last, No Country for Old Men,
> blew me away and the Crossing earlier did as well. For a real hoot
> reading dialogue, Elmore Leonard.

Pity that I haven't had time to pick up McCarthy's latest work, so I
can't comment on it directly, but his earlier stuff is nothing short of
genius. The Border Trilogy is really good, albeit a bit of a sad tale,
however Blood Meridian remains my favorite of his books. Some people
complain about the graphic nature of some scenes, but the book is set in
the Spanish - American war and, guess what, it was a terrible mess to be
involved in - It is a terrific piece of work, regardless. There is a
rawness to McCarthy's prose that takes a bit of getting used to,
especially the way sentences will stretch into paragraphs but there is
no mistaking the sense of greatness; comparisons to Faulkner are many
and frequent.

My familliarity with Elmore Leonard ends with film adaptations, but I
know he is somewhat prolific... perhaps time to pick up one of his novels?

- Elias