[FoRK] Re: Barbados

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Wed Jun 21 13:15:02 PDT 2006

>> We can always make Shangrila mobile and seasonal, right? :)
>
> Only for those who are foot-loose and fancy free. Others
> will want a good place to raise their kids.

Well, what if transhumance makes for a good (set of) place(s) to raise
kids?

Swiss families traditionally had to move up and down the mountainsides
with their livestock; I don't know if it's due to the history or for
other reasons, but to this day they seem to encourage their children to
travel about the country in a way which I'd guess would send the
average SUV soccer-chauffeu{se,r} into fits of worry.

(I have a friend who insisted she needed to drive her children the half
mile to school in California -- in a neighborhood with bridle paths,
where they didn't even need to walk on roads with auto traffic, this
seemed to me a bit superfluous)

Now, if everyone moved on the same circuit, I suppose the kids would
gather just as much moss as if they stuck in the mud.  But it's much
more likely that there'd be different people at the different stations;
isn't it better to raise kids for whom strangers tend to represent
opportunity, rather than threat?

-Dave