[FoRK] Oh my...

Geege < geege4 at bellsouth.net > on > Mon Jul 10 06:23:29 PDT 2006

I don't always love that defending freedom of speech means defending the
speech and actions of those who so often oppose it, but there it is.

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com] On Behalf Of
Stephen D. Williams
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:48 AM
To: Corinna
Cc: fork at xent.com
Subject: Re: [FoRK] Oh my...

Sickening and scary.
> To critics who say there are better ways to spend $260,000, Mr.
> Williams responds that his church gives millions to the needy and says
> he views the statue as outreach: "I personally feel that the answer
> for the poor is Jesus Christ."
Ya, right.  Never mind education, ambition, avoiding reverse racism,
avoiding drugs, valuing meritocracy over being cool, etc.
No, religion is the answer, so all you plebes will listen to me and feed
the coffers of my giant church.

sdw

Corinna wrote:
> I was open-mouthed when I read this... Somehow I find this way more
offensive
> than flag-burning.
>
> There's a picture on the nytimes web page.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/us/05liberty.html?ex=1152763200&en=2013016
dd3fb4841&ei=5070&emc=eta1

> MEMPHIS, July 4 - On Independence Day, Lady Liberty was born again...
> ... to reveal a giant statue of the Lady, but with the Ten Commandments
under
> one arm and "Jehovah" inscribed on her crown... And in place of a torch,
she
> held aloft a large gold cross...A single tear graced her cheek.
>
> ...The statue, inspired by a Memphis church that has three giant crosses,
> strikes him as "a creative means of just really letting people know that
God is