[FoRK] magnetic RAM --- who's the target audience at this point?

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Tue Jul 11 00:09:14 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:01:12AM -0400, Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> So they expect it to be cheaper than SRAM (which it isn't yet, not by a
> long shot), and last longer (which they aren't willing to stand behind
> yet, qualifying it for their "commercial" tier, i.e. 5-year lifetime)
> and use less energy than Flash.  Maybe that suggests an economic niche,
> even at the current pricing?  $200 memory cards that make your digital
> camera last longer between recharges?

MRAM is the first step from electronics to spintronics. It's nonvolatile,
so static designs are possible. Slightly beefed up MRAM cells can be used
for reconfigurable logic gates.

A lot of CPU power dissipation is in the cache, so a MRAM version
of it would save energy. (I personally wouldn't bother with the
cache and put MRAM main memory directly on the CPU die).