[FoRK] the problem of increasing human energy

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Mon Aug 14 19:52:15 PDT 2006

I just love how low the power usage is on modern devices.  Low voltage,
low amperage, pretty soon we'll be able to run these things on lemon and
penny batteries.

The new Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400RPM 2.5" laptop hard drives use .2
watts standby, .8 idle, and 2 watts active.  That's 50 drives and about
8TB for the power of a 100 watt light bulb.  It handles 350Gs while
operating, up to 900Gs while not operating.

Radio sensitivity is also amazing: the Garmin Forerunner 350 GPS watch
runs 9 hours on a built in rechargeable and can receive from and track 8
satellites through a floor, ceiling, roof, and windows/walls of my
house.  Given the microburst transmission of Zigbee coupled with high
bandwidth from satellite and ambient, we're just about to have
pervasive, battery friendly broadband.

sdw