[FoRK] the problem of increasing human energy

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Wed Aug 16 01:22:28 PDT 2006

> The new Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400RPM 2.5" laptop hard drives use .2
> watts standby, .8 idle, and 2 watts active.

By way of comparison, that couple of watts active is about the same
power draw as a single vacuum tube on standby (just for the heater*,
not for any switching).

How much quiescent power did a typical centrifugal governor require?

What about distributor advance?  How about other kinds of mechanical
feedback systems?

Before Watt and Mead, I'd guess most information processing was done
with wetware, at the cost of 20 W for switching and 80 W for support.

-Dave

* "warm boot" (like "champing at the bit") was once more commonly used
literally than figuratively.