[FoRK] the problem of increasing human energy

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Wed Aug 16 06:33:20 PDT 2006

Dave Long wrote:
>> The new Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400RPM 2.5" laptop hard drives use .2
>> watts standby, .8 idle, and 2 watts active.
>
> By way of comparison, that couple of watts active is about the same
> power draw as a single vacuum tube on standby (just for the heater*,
> not for any switching).
I'm amazed they could do that with only a couple watts.  I played with
"Cat's Eye" short wave / AM / FM (maybe) receivers when I was a kid that
my dad had collected (along with upright Victrola's and piles of hard
wax records).  I would have guessed at least 10w would be needed.

For Seagate to spin a glass platter at 5400 RPM, seek the head, and
power the electronics at 2w is cool.

sdw