[FoRK] Fw: {MPML} My Very Excellent Mother Visited Civilized Prague... (Hey! This ,Xylophone Seems To Need 47 More Adjectives!)

Joseph S. Barrera III < joe at barrera.org > on > Sat Aug 19 10:42:08 PDT 2006

For the possible amusement of anyone following
the whole planet demotion/promotion debate...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	{MPML} My Very Excellent Mother Visited Civilized Prague...
Date: 	Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:46:12 -0000
From: 	David <sturmde at yahoo.com>
To: 	mpml at yahoogroups.com

Friends, Rome-ons, Wanderers, Plutons....  Thought I'd share with you
a parody article I'm compelled to find myself writing.  Enjoy, if you
like!  David...
**************
My Very Excellent Mother Could Just Serve Us Nuts, Pizza Charred'n'
Xylophones!
My Very Excellent Mother Verily Could Possibly Happily Just Serve Us
Nothing, Or Pizzas Charred, Verily Sweets, Quick Eggs -- Hey! This
Xylophone Seems To Need 47 More Adjectives

Holy Planets of Prague, Batman!  I can just see the joy on the faces
of freshman astronomy students now!  Imagine if we expanded the HR
diagram too!  "Why oh, be a fine gender(-non-specific), kiss me right
now, SMACK, tingle, doy-ngggg"... Oh, wait that already almost
happened.  Back to "Oh be a fine gender(-non-specific), kiss me".
Then again, maybe it's not so bad.  After all, classically there were
only four elements until someone got that quintessence idea going.
Or aether... but let's speed on.  Chemically, elements keep cropping
up now and then without too much difficulty.  Yet, no one's about to
have a vial of seaborgium meitnerate to play with so we don't see
chemists fret too much (outside of IUPAC, of course).  As it is,
it'll be years before the average high school classroom has
roentgenium and darmstadtium on the charts.  You're lucky if they
have dubnium, indubitably!  Yet, the periodic table has expanded over
time.  Maybe we just need a periodic table of planets?  So, let me
propose this:

Table I.  The Periodic Table of Planets
	I	II	III	IV	V
1	Hg	Ve	Te	Ma	(Ce) and someday (Vs) (Pd)
(Hy)
2	Jo	Sa	U	Np	(Pu) (Ch) (Ub313) and
countless other "transition planets"

Sure, that works.  Mercury (Hg, of course!), Venus, Earth and Mars
all retain their place in the grid... as do Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus
and Neptune.  Period 1 is the row containing rock worlds (or rockons
if you prefer!  Dude!)... Period 2 is the row containing worlds with
more volatiles... (volatons, of course!)  These 8 primary planet-
elements need a good name, and I quantize them as "eigenplanets".
I'm sure you'll all value that name.

Group I planets are nearest the Sun in their period.  Group IV
planets are chilliest.  Group V can expand like Group VIII on the
periodic table to include all the flotsam.  If you want, we could
call inner belt dwarf planets, such as Ceres and maybe later Pallas,
Vesta and Hygeia as Lanthanon planets.  Outer belters could become
Actinon planets.  And, by simply applying existing IUPAC rules (an
organiztion very comparable to IAU in decree-manufacturing!), 2003
UB313 "Xena" officially can be named Binilniltri-yoobee-triuntrion!
I'm sure Mike Brown would only but approve as long as we said it was
a planet on the periodic table of planets.  Maybe we could put it in
like superactinides and start Period 3 with UB313 and Sedna.  Then
again, Chad Trujillo might have preferred Athene, but why shouldn't
IAU rules be more important?  If many astronomers say a planet should
be called George, who are we to disagree?  Wait, you mean we don't
call it George anymore?  Darn.

S^3 P O, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE
That of course is the not-so-almost-recommended acronym for "small
solar system planetesimal objects".  Shouldn't R2 D2 (randomly-
rotating dense damocloids, of course) be not far behind?  Getting
back to the periodic table idea though, one can easily imagine a
trilinear chart of all the S3PO's.  All the little (as I thus call
them) iso-objects would have their rows (a) and columns (i and e).  I
know we're all lamenting "minor planet" being discarded.  But can't
we stake out "minor planetesimal"?  After all, planetesimals are all
the pieces left behind after the holy planets of Prague have been
formed!  So, the MPC lives!  The Minor Planetesimal Center has a few
extra letters, but it has often been proven that adding letters is a
good idea.  (After all, isn't George W. Bush an improvement over
George Bush?  Although, maybe Kerrey is better than Kerry...)  I find
it much better than making them rename all their webpages from mpc to
something like sssbc!  Someone please tell me why 'bodies' is better
than 'objects', by the way?  Is solar system space a graveyard?
(Actually, in a way, it is though!)  Okay, I'll give in that college
classes in astronomy named "Bodies In Motion" do tend to attract more
registrants.  Perhaps someday though, "miner planets" will be those
with major mining operations underway...  In this sense, Earth is
very much the first "miner planet".

NO PLANET CIVIL UNIONS!
Only one chair at the table per couple, please.  With all the other
wonky additions in the IAU definition of a planet, why not also have
added "and any object qualifying as a planet must be the majority of
the mass with the same solar orbit characteristics (a, e, i.... [oh,
you!])"  This way Pluto stays, but Charon goes.  Why bother?  Well,
the definition IAU has created is over longer time scales, rather
arbitrary.  At its formation, the Pluto-Charon barycenter might well
have been inside Pluto.  Let Charon be called an "co-planet", or a
companion planet (or my suggested IAU term, "complane").  Another
attendant suggestion would be "attendant" in the same vein
as "satellite".   After all, a "planet" does define and orbital plane
about the Sun.  This makes it a "plane-ette".  Do you need more than
one orbital object to define this plane?  I say no, so one planet per
plane works.

If we get multiversal, this leads to the excellent idea that an
object of some mass travelling on a brane becomes a branet.  And of
course, a mass on my automobile's brake is a braket.  But I dirac,
erm, digress...

Right now, the Earth-Moon barycenter is inside Earth.  But in due
course, as the Moon's orbit expands due to tidal effects, when is the
magic point at which the barycenter is 0.003 cm above the surface of
the Earth?  Because at that "magic moment", the Moon also becomes an
official IAU Planet.  Do we call it a "Planet In Waiting", a "Prince
of Wales (hey, no mixed drinks!) Planet"?  Fortunately, to paraphrase
what Keynes pointed out famously... none of us will be around to see
it.

PLUTON ALREADY EXISTS!
I am amused by both the pure thievery of absconding a geological term
and the lack of creativity in taking the name of Pluto, in a large
number of Earthly languages rendered as "Pluton", and thus
stating "Pluton" is a "pluton".  A cigar is a cigar, too.  (No EL61
reference intended!)  Do they not ever consider to talk to others?  I
know that "ice dwarf planet" had some expecting Ernest Borgnine to
break through with a submarine at any moment... but why miss out on
the opportunity of calling
them "isoplanets"?  They all have similar characteristics, thus they
occupy some sort of "isobar": plus you get "ice" worked in there in a
clever way.

(MOON)
What's next for the committee?  Should we let them move on to more
tasks?  A good definition of satellites?   At the rate discovery is
going in finding both shepherd satellites (and Sheppard satellites!),
a pair of tennis shoes inserted into Jovian orbit will require the
name of a long-lost love or forgotten relative of Jupiter.  Is
Apostrophoë or worse yet Nikë and Adidasaë far behind?  (Lest I
forget, there is a Nike already!)  Corporate sponsorship of naming
small solar system objects could bring in the bucks.  Look how much
those so-called morons make selling star names!  Doesn't cost them
much to do that, does it?

Perhaps we can officially define moons as Major Orbiting Objects
Nearby (MOONs).  Given a sphericity limit as the dividing line,
anything non-spherical becomes a Minor Orbiting Object, Non-
spherical, Lumpy, Endothermic, or Tiny (MOONLETs).

Then again, knowing the IAU, there would be a preference for calling
them "satellons" or "sat-ons" for short.  But then small satellites
can be christned satellettes, or satellinos!  Even worse, perhaps
Jupiter's become jovellinos, Saturn's alone are satellinos... Don't
miss out on the uranellinos!  (And are Nix and Hydra then
plutonellinos?  Don't get me started on the Binilnitri-yoobee-
triuntrionellino!  Ni!  Bring a shrubbery, too.)  Not that bad when
you think about it though: our Moon becomes a nice-sounding
terrellon, Phobos and Deimos are martellinos (isn't that an olive?),
and the Galileans are jovellons.  And on the "converse", those tennis
shoes my brother took from me years ago and threw into apparent Earth
orbit are now terrellinos.  (Which are getting more activity than
Dallas' terrell-owens!  Hmmm, perhaps they're really binary
terrellinos on second thought!)

<i>Note:  David once some years ago encouraged the naming of a small
solar system body (what we used to call minor planets, not Paris
Hilton!) after the Greek primordial creation concept of Chaos.  How
prescient, eh?</i>
David E G Sturm - sturmde at maine.edu - 1.207.581.1241
--Physics & Astronomy Instructional Laboratories
--Mainely Physics Road Show
Dept of Physics & Astronomy -- University of Maine
5709 Bennett Hall -- Orono ME 04469-5709
http://www.physics.umaine.edu/