[FoRK] Fifteen aliens arrested in Roswell, working for U.S. military

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Mon Sep 4 01:20:30 PDT 2006

Heh...

Of course the comparison to slavery is wacked: Illegal aliens, of the
Mexican variety, are coming because they want to, because they are
bettering their situation as far as they can see, and because they are
exercising free will.  All of these are the opposite of slavery.

That the conditions, market and otherwise, don't force their employers
to provide a full support system for them is just a characteristic of
the situation they create by coming illegally.  People live in all kinds
of conditions.  While it would be great to guarantee a modern luxury
existence to everyone, it isn't going to happen.  I certainly didn't
live it until several years after being an adult.

You could come up with all kinds of ills of this situation, but if they
are choosing to join that workforce, it must be better in one or more ways.
I think that it would better if US / city teenagers were doing the fruit
picking.  The real work would be good for them in several ways.

sdw