[FoRK] Where the F&@# is my flying car?

Brian Atkins < brian at posthuman.com > on > Mon Sep 11 09:52:23 PDT 2006

Malcolm Greenshields wrote:
> What happened? In elementary school the 50's, we were all promised
> flying cars in the *FUTURE*, along with completely robotic kitchens
> (when we didn't want to eat meals available in a single pill), and we
> were going to have so much leisure that we would all be swanning about,
> thinking of and doing "higher things."

Blame yourself for buying into corporate propaganda. It was mostly
consumer-oriented companies like GM that output those crap ideas:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/10/propaganda_films_for.html

This was not any kind of serious, even semi-scientific attempt to really figure
out potential timelines for future developments. It was some marketing guys
sitting around a room coming up with things they thought housewives of the 50s
would think sounded cool, and they hoped would reflect back on their company to
help sell some cars with fins.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/