[FoRK] 911 - The war on understanding

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Mon Sep 11 19:58:54 PDT 2006

I might suggest that not everyone would agree with your policy,
either, completely aside from Tom's criticisms. I think one can make a
fair case that the policy should be 'no theocracies', or perhaps 'no
theocracies which aren't elected and which lack strong guarantees of
civil rights', or perhaps 'no tolerance of political movements which
believe in violence against innocents as a legitimate means of
political expression', and that abhorrence of violence against
innocents is but one consequence of that larger umbrella policy.

(One might also note that if any of those are the policy, at times
violence against innocents will be an acceptable if unpleasant side
effect of pursuing the top-level goal.)

(One might further note that it is perfectly plausible to support such
policies while still abhorring the incompetence, brutality,
illegality, etc., of the Bush-Cheney execution of similar policies.)

Luis