[FoRK] AmSam

Tom Higgins < tomhiggins at gmail.com > on > Mon Sep 11 20:49:48 PDT 2006

Do folks here read amsam? http://amsam.org/ I ask, probably have
before, because I would hate to sling stuff here that most everyone is
aware of anyway.

Ok since I do not know yet im going to sling a couple.

1. We shall also remember that 33 years ago, the democratically
elected government of Chile and its President Allende were overthrown
in a US-backed coup that resulted in Allende's death. Countless
thousands of people were executed or "disappeared" during Pinochet's
reign of terror that subsequently followed this tragic day in history.
Let's remember the victims of the coup and its aftermath.

2. On this day in 1959 the US Congress authorized food stamps for
Americans living in poverty. For those congressional leaders who voted
to aid those in need, let's remember them.

3. On this day in 1851, in Christiana, Pennsylvania there was a
stand-off between several ex-slave families (led by William Parker)
and a posse of several armed white men led by a slave owner (Edward
Gorsuch). This was one with a somewhat happy ending, as Parker and the
remaining ex-slaves prevailed, and Gorsuch paid for his attempt to
re-enslave these families with his life. That day was a stark reminder
of the struggle that lay ahead for those endeavoring to break the
bonds of slavery in the U.S. Let's remember Parker and those brave
families who were willing to stand up for their human rights and
dignity by any means necessary. The same day that was rife with
tragedy at the beginning of our current century marked the
sesquicentennial of what was truly a day of triumph for Parker and his
crew.

4. On this day in 1945 retiring Secretary of War Henry Stimson sent a
letter to then-President Harry Truman urging that the Truman
administration follow a cooperative path with the USSR as the Soviet
government worked to develop nuclear energy and weapons capability.
Said Stimson:

    "I believe that the change in attitude toward the individual in
Russia will come slowly and gradually and I am satisfied that we
should not delay our approach to Russia in the matter of the atomic
bomb until that process has been completed.... Furthermore, I believe
that this long process of change in Russia is more likely to be
expedited by the closer relationship in the matter of the atomic bomb
which I suggest and the trust and confidence that I believe would be
inspired by the method of approach which I have outlined."

    Stimson reasoned the Russians would at once pursue obtaining such
a bomb for themselves. It was not a secret, as Americans were for
years led to believe, but an industrial technology being explored
before the War, and which the Soviets would obtain in, say, four to
twenty, years.

    In a reference to the US "having this weapon rather ostentatiously
on our hip," Stimson noted, "their suspicions and their distrust of
our purposes and motives will increase. It will inspire them to
greater efforts in an all out effort to solve the problem."

    "The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only
way you can make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way
to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him and show your distrust."

Tragically, his advice was ignored by the Truman administration, and
what followed was a protracted "Cold War" that served only to inflate
our elites' Military-Industrial Complex and sense of paranoia at the
expense of much more humanitarian endeavors. Let us remember Stimson's
words, as our current White House (p)resident threatens to pursue a
belligerent reaction to Iran's efforts to become a nuclear power in
its own right.

5. On this day 100 years ago Mohandas Gandhi began his famous
Satyagraha in opposition to British imperial rule. Although requiring
decades, Gandhi's efforts at nonviolent resistance begun on 9-11-1906
would prove successful. Let us remember Gandhi and those he's inspired
to follow a different, nonviolent path in the struggle for freedom and
dignity.

6. On this day three years ago, the world lost one of the truly great
slapstick comedians, John Ritter, who died of a heart attack. Ritter
is likely best known for his role as Jack Tripper in the late 1970s &
early 1980s sitcom Three's Company (based on the British sitcom Man
About the House). Let's remember Ritter and others like him who've
shared the gift of humor in these troubled times.
In 2001, terrorists killed 2,978 people in the United States,
including the five killed by anthrax. In that same year, according to
the Centers for Disease Control, heart disease killed 700,142
Americans and cancer 553,768; various accidents claimed 101,537 lives,
suicide 30,622, and homicide, not including the attacks, another
17,330.
http://www.thememoryhole.org/911/bush-911.htm
>>> This footage, obtained and presented exclusively by The Memory
Hole, shows President Bush sitting in a Florida classroom for 5
minutes after he was told that the second Twin Tower has been hit and
that America was being attacked. A truncated version of this footage
that has been available online since June 2002 shows Bush for only 2
minutes, 10 seconds after being told. This new footage more than
doubles this length of time.