[FoRK] Is There A God?

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Tue Sep 12 08:15:24 PDT 2006

I found this page:

	http://everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

...wherein are offered "six reasons to believe there is a God."

Unfortunately, none of these "reasons" are examples of well-formed
"reasoning."  Here's my commentary:

> 1. Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a
> deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains
> it today.
>
> 2. Does God exist? The human brain's complexity shows a higher
> intelligence behind it.
>
> 3. Does God exist? "Chance" or "natural causes" are insufficient
> explanations.

All three of the above are variations on the same argument --- i.e.,
that natural complexity implies intelligent design.  Unfortunately
there is no scientific or mathematical truth to this argument, as
pointed out by Paulos and annoyingly math-literate others:

	http://tinyurl.com/kmvp5

> 4. Does God exist? To state with certainty that there is no God, a
> person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of
> people who are convinced that there is a God.

Unfortunately, passion has nothing to do with truth.  Everybody in
the world can be simultaneously, quite passionately wrong.

> 5. Does God exist? We know God exists because he pursues us. He is
> constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.

This is a tautology:  God exists implies God exists.  This is
nonsense, not an example of "reasoning."

> 6. Does God exist? Unlike any other revelation of God, Jesus Christ
> is the clearest, most specific picture of God pursuing us.

This is not only the same sort of tautological nonsense as the above,
it is also quite partisan.  Not only does the "reason" presume God to
exist, it presumes that a particular set of beliefs about God ---
among many --- is true.  This isn't reason, it's propaganda.  Note
too that the "footnotes" offered in support are --- you guessed it
--- scriptural references.

Folks like the authors of these "reasons" do their cause ---
convincing the unconvinced --- more harm than good.

jb