[FoRK] Is There A God?

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Tue Sep 12 09:21:04 PDT 2006

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>:
>This is a tautology:  God exists implies God exists.  This is  nonsense,
>not an example of "reasoning."

Actually, it seems to me more an example of the Big Lie technique, than
of tautology. If there are any gods, the most obvious fact about them is
that they are NOT apparent. All of us would believe in a god who did in
fact pursue us, who did in fact present himself in ways we EACH could
verify. The historic gods are quite different. They hide themselves as
ordinary people, only occassionally dropping their disguise to whiper in
a chosen hero's ear. Or they reveal themselves through angels to prophets,
delivering turgid scripture orally or on gold plates. Or they appear as
preachers in remote areas, whose church is spread by a stranger, and
whose holy identity are written about only long afer the fact.

One of the most significant problems that a religion like Christianity
must explain is WHY their god, who allegedly wants a personal relationship
with each of us, chooses to so completely hide himself. To say that their
god in fact is present and pursuing us is to assert the Big Lie. If that
can get people to swallow it, they don't have to explain why it in fact
isn't the case.