[FoRK] 911 - The war on understanding

Ian Andrew Bell < FoRK at ianbell.com > on > Tue Sep 12 13:03:36 PDT 2006

The problem with this position is that many religions cast themselves
as the functional legal, as well as moral, authority in a society.
I like any rational human believe that mixing politics and religion
(as if there was a difference -- okay, GOVERNMENT and religion) is
wrong, however, that's just my opinion.

As we all know, Islamic nations are a good example of the co-
dependency between church and state.  You can't unravel them.  There
is no seam between the two.  Now, most of us bristle at this thought
after being exposed to the beheadings and behandings of common
criminals, the uneven dispensation of justice, etc.  But the people
who live there seem to tolerate it.  And in the case of Iraq, they
even seem to prefer it to those systems which we would otherwise have
them live under.

So um, those are lofty goals below but are A) prone to massive
subjectivism, and B) impose the will of other (nations) on the people
of a society or cultural group.  Which, ironically, is kind of what
you're trying to prevent.

We can have policies I suppose which isolate societies that don't
meet our standards of niceness and egalitarianism, but that only
serves to give the despots and theocrats which run said societies an
enemy to sell to their working class.  And the purpose of the UN and
other dialogue-oriented bodies is to reduce, not strengthen, the
isolation of peoples.  We can propagandize the shit out of the people
in the hopes that they will choose revolution, but those tend to be
bloody and have a pretty poor track record for positive change; or we
can send in kids from Arkansas to get their limbs blown off in
shoddily-armoured Humvees to convert them all to Modernity, thinly-
veiled by notions of "Democracy".  In both of the latter cases, we're
imposing our world view on others, which may be no better or worse
off than what they have already, except that it benefits those who
want to sell them hamburgers and Britney Spears CDs.

So, what do you do?  These days I'm leaning towards nothing.  But
when I say that I mean literally nothing.  Don't sell them weapons of
war, don't sustain rival factions, don't intervene with peacekeepers
to maintain an inherently unstable position.  In the 20th century
we've made intervention by selective non-intervention into an art form.

Submitted for your consideration would be the notion of accepting
that life and death and strife are part of the human experience,
necessary to political and social evolution and change, and that self-
determination of peoples is not something that can be imported.  Let
people suffer enough and they will all rise up and choose.  They will
surely fuck it up a few times, they will surely kill a lot of people
in the process, but since that seems  to be happening anyway --
what's the difference?  There is of course the possibility that, left
to their own devices, the people will come up with solutions to their
political problems which are home grown and therefore adaptive to
local conditions.  Democracy isn't terribly practical in nations
where there is no safe water to drink; give me a well, not a fucking
voting booth!  And who knows?  Maybe they'll come up with something
better than we've got today (I hope so).

Like Roddenberry's Prime Directive, stay away until they're ready /
mature enough to handle liebensraum.  Welcome societies to the club
when they are ready to play.   In the meantime, isolate them
economically but not socially.

I'm not convinced of this as a strategy.  I just don't see anything
else we're talking about working very well either.  And I don't
embark on these considerations with the presumption that we
Protestant Liberal Democrats necessarily have it all sorted out, either.

-Ian.