[FoRK] 911 - The war on understanding

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Tue Sep 12 16:44:15 PDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Ian Andrew Bell <FoRK at ianbell.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12-Sep-06, at 4:07 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> >
> > > But there are many places where muslims live under non-sharia
> > > democracies and seem to do just fine. Are they just not 'good
> > > muslims'?
> >
> > The Ayahtollah probably wouldn't think so.  You and I would.  That's
> > the crux of the problem.  None of us is right.
>
> Fred Phelps and his insane flock don't believe that you and I are
> right either, but we force him to play by the same rules as everyone
> else here. I'm not clear why it isn't right to expect Muslims (or any
> other religion for that matter) to do the same.

To be specific, the rules we force him to play under are 'believe
whatever you want, as long as your forcing it down my throat is under
very specific, prescribed, democratically and constitutionally limited
circumstances.' I'm pretty much a moral relativist on most issues, but
I have a hard time accepting any counterargument on that particular
belief system/rule set.

Luis