[FoRK] 911 - The war on understanding

Tom Higgins < tomhiggins at gmail.com > on > Tue Sep 12 17:45:23 PDT 2006

Ok so your saying if we can all find a common ground then we can maybe
, just maybe, live in proximity with each other without ripping each
differing group a new orifice daily?

Ok, so factor this into your mix.....

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article1433344.ece
" Religious police ban cats and dogs
By Donna Abu-Nasr in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Published: 10 September 2006

Saudi Arabia's religious police, the Muttawa, are normally tasked with
chiding women to cover themselves and ensuring men attend mosque. Now
they are turning to a new target: cats and dogs. They have issued a
decree banning the sale of the pets, seen as a sign of Western
influence.

The prohibition on dogs is unsurprising, since conservative Muslims
despise the animals as unclean. But the cat ban has astonished many,
since Islamic tradition holds that the Prophet Mohamed loved cats ­
even in one instance letting a cat drink from his ablutions water
before washing himself for prayers.

 The Muttawa enforce Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code, prowling
streets and malls to ensure unmarried men and women do not mix,
confronting women they feel are not properly covered and urging men to
go to prayers. But they have wide leeway to enforce any rules they
deem necessary to uphold the social order.

The new decree, which applies to the Red Sea port of Jeddah and the
holy city of Mecca, bans the sale of cats and dogs because "some
youths have been buying them and parading them in public," says the
Municipal Affairs Ministry.
"