[FoRK] 911 - The war on understanding

Kevin Elliott < k-elliott at wiu.edu > on > Tue Sep 12 20:45:02 PDT 2006

At 8:59 PM -0600  on  9/12/06, Malcolm Greenshields wrote:
>Kevin Elliott wrote:
>>  This isn't a very NICE thing to do, but it is reality if you don't
>>have any other way of
>>dealing with criminals.  This is exactly the reason why horse
>>thieving and cattle rustling
>>were handled so severely in the Old West.
>
>Perhaps this is why so much of the U.S. has capital punishment (all
>but a dozen states)  -
>because the homicide clearance rate is generally lower than that of
>other rich western
>countries.

<nod>  That would be my gut.  I think you also have to factor in time
and cultural inertia- America had a  "frontier" period that ended
much later than Europe's.  Of course other factors play in as well-
much of America is still MUCH more rural than Europe which complicate
crime prevention/prosecution.  I'm not sure how that plays out in the
Middle East.  At the very least the lower GDP means that less money
is available for crime management.