Refuse Resist (was Re: [FoRK] ITV - yawn..)

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Thu Sep 14 10:57:50 PDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Lucas Gonze <lgonze at panix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Tom Higgins wrote:
> > WOW, color me taken aback. Are you telling me otherwise dinkum
> > thinkums here do not know the meaning of Refuse Resist?
> >
> > Buying the product, even at a loss, is a gain in market share for that
> > company. That has value, you have given them value of use and market
> > penetration.
> >

> Even if you get the product for free via a filesharing network.  By
> filesharing an RIAA product you give that product market share, which is
> why the RIAA is just as strong now as it was pre-Napster.

You're the expert here, Lucas- where is the hottest and bestest of
non-RIAA music? While I won't buy any content that is itself
DRM-encumbered, I admit I've not yet gone cold-turkey on major-label
content, nor have I yet made the pledge (though I should) to
contribute an equal and opposite amount to the EFF or other similar
organizations every time I do buy major-label content.

[Tangentially, to maintain a reasonably purist stance I now have to
ditch Amazon... but god, I love Amazon. This is going to be hard. And
I wonder at what point that will leave me with no one left to buy
from...]

Luis