[FoRK] Is God an Accident?

Strata R. Chalup < strata at virtual.net > on > Sat Sep 16 13:09:56 PDT 2006

Very nifty, tx for the link Jeff.

A physiological effect causing belief in the supernatural is a theme explored in
Robert J Sawyer's excellent trilogy "Hominids", "Humans", and "Hybrids".  A
wormhole effect into a parallel history where Neanderthals created civilization
allows some interchange.  They don't believe in G-d, and think that all of the
superstition stuff is a cognitive problem.

Interestingly enough, while searching for the author's name, I found this link
as well:   http://www.newkerala.com/news4.php?action=fullnews&id=11007

"A recent study by a researcher from the University of Southern California has
revealed that individuals of European descent could be up to five percent
Neanderthal, while West Africans could be related to an archaic human
population. ..."

Wouldn't it be entertaining if life imitated art, and physiognomic differences
in neural structure among modern humans accounted for superstition/religion
belief correlation?  I think there may be benefit to the whole human race to
have those bits in there, but not if they get out of hand and start suppressing
the rest of humanity.

The theme is touched on slightly in Kyle Baker's 'Company' series, where
Mendoza's lover/nemesis/ezer-knegedo is of a much older type of race which
didn't interbreed much with humans.  Amusingly enough, there's a 'type' that
they describe this guy being which is a type I've noticed a preponderance of in
ultra-intellectual hacker & scientist.  I love it when writers mess with your
head by including little bits of reality and giving plausible explanations to
what they 'really' mean.

SRC