[FoRK] Why Johnny Can't Code

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Sun Sep 17 09:39:18 PDT 2006

I still have several working instances of 6502 hardware in the basement,
so I haven't needed to write an emulator yet. One of these days I'm
going to test the estimate of a 20 year limit to data on floppies. I
have hundreds with actual software and data...

Although I would like to remedy the lack of a nice Ajaxy web IDE,
http://processing.org 's environment is really great for beginning
programmers.
You are programming in a simplified version of Java with zero BS /
boilerplate, one button publishing of an Internet-ready applet with
source code, you have great multimedia and animation capabilities
available in a few lines of code, but you can access anything else in
Java as soon as you are ready. It really is pretty cool. After my
current coding, I will think hard about addressing the issue of getting
it truly lightweight as an online programming environment, plus some
kind of sharing / library / active documentation system.

sdw