[FoRK] Cato Unbound: The Case for the Libertarian Democrat

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Oct 3 12:28:45 PDT 2006

You have to move to get away from influence of a government which is a
significant barrier to escape.
To hurt a corporation you simply avoid spending any money with them and
direct your business to only competitors.  You can even start your own
competition.

While both are types of voting, voting with your feet is much different
and more difficult for your one governmental stack (local/state/federal)
than it is with all of the many corporations you deal with.  It is
relatively easy to make at least minor changes to what corporations do
with the right well placed letter, phone call, protest, or steering a
deal somewhere else.  Governments are more difficult and slower to so
affect.

Shareholder voting only has a chance when it approaches majority.
Customer voting is subject to tipping points, reverse economies of
scale, meritocracy, innovator's dilemma, just plain being nice, and
other factors that allow creative destruction periodically in any
business that isn't competitive.

Governments have far longer cycles for measures of competitive force,
and in many areas those haven't been able to play out at all.

sdw