[FoRK] "..he was angry at God."

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Oct 3 17:56:38 PDT 2006

Someone wanting to kill a bunch of random people, or even a particular
person along with other random people, could do more damage with a big
SUV, let alone a Semi, into a crowd, minimal building, etc. than they
could likely manage with a gun.

This guy was on a slippery slope and lost his footing.

The way you prevent these kinds of things is to try to get everyone,
especially the partially developed psychopaths, to detect, alert, and
try to deflect these kinds of things. Unfortunately, mostly people have
or feel they have no recourse or way out until they go over the edge and
then suddenly everyone wants to respond, help, etc.

Still, you can't be 100% safe so crazy things will happen periodically.
If you are priming most of the population with the kinds of beliefs that
allow this, then eventually you are going to get someone who has either
a defect or a an unfortunate enough experience who loses their grip. If
you were instead reaffirming reality and rationality at every point, it
seems it would be more likely that you would notice someone who was
drifting away.

At a fairly large crossover point you can't tell the difference between
a "devout" believer and someone who's crazy.

sdw