[FoRK] Quotes - [aA]theism

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Fri Oct 6 07:22:52 PDT 2006

Funny (mostly):

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever
believed in. Some of us just go one god further. -    Richard Dawkins
(1941 - ), "The Root of All Evil", UK Channel 4, 2006

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has
nobody to thank. -     Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828 - 1882)

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. -    Frank Lloyd Wright (1869
- 1959)

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for
such an absurd world. -    Georges Duhamel (1884 - 1966)

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if
He didn't. -    Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)

When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a
woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of the
Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?" -
Quentin Crisp

Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakeable truth through
the power of institutions and the passage of time. -    Richard Dawkins
(1941 - ), "The
Root of All Evil", Channel 4 UK, 2006

You've got your phenomenon on one hand. Concrete and knowable. On the
other hand you've got the incomprehensible. You call it God, but to me,
God or no, it remains just that, the unknowable. -    Robin Green and
Mitchell Burgess, Northern Exposure, A Wing and a Prayer, 1994

Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -    Thomas
Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. -    Voltaire
(1694 - 1778)

If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But
the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an
underachiever. -    Woody Allen (1935 - )

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition. -    Woody
Allen (1935 - )