[FoRK] misc

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Sun Oct 8 05:15:26 PDT 2006

>> [1] LHR, I'll grant you, sucks.  (For that matter, London itself has
>> way too many cameras for my tastes)
>
> London's just horrid. Avoid it.

on the other hand, I understand there's a breakaway technical college
somewhere in the fens that's well worth visiting?

:: :: ::

on minimal bitstring interpreters (handy for bounding complexity
measures)

Tromp, "Binary Lambda-Calculus and Combinatory Logic"
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~tromp/cl/LC.pdf

:: :: ::

finally, for diehard BASIC romantics with suitable macs, I just
discovered this weekend that "clover-alt-O-F" at powerup boots into
Open Firmware, an ANS Forth ROM monitor -- a command line giving full
control over the h/w.  One can assemble arbitrary code, read from the
mouse and accelerometers, write to the screen, etc.

I was going to try to write a pong*, but it already exists:

http://members.aol.com/plforth/ofpong/

(the UGA for the new Intel macs looks suspiciously like the video
standard for Cleese.  With basic driver support in firmware, a second
attempt might be much easier)

-Dave

* "deja vu?"
http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2002-July/013661.html

:: :: ::

101. Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is
also easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to
improve.