[FoRK] Re: Prices are so low because we buy in volume (Sun Grid vs. Amazon EC2)

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Tue Oct 10 12:16:02 PDT 2006

Luis pointed (in private -- thanks) that I screwed up the decimal
point: it's $1800 for 2 years of computation, not $180.  Not nearly as
impressive, but still quite good.  If we take $1800 as our budget for
2 years worth of computation*, I'd guesstimate that you'd need to buy
hardware at about $1000 per instance-equivalent**.  And this is only
if you assume that you could use 100% of the time -- given the likely
"peakiness" of running your own compute farm, Amazon is still a good
deal.

* Including power, hardware, cooling, rent, racks, planned outages, etc.
** Perhaps as 1/4 of a top-of-the-line dual Xeon 3 GHz, etc. system?

Ken