[FoRK] NewTube VS OldTube

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Tue Oct 10 18:13:37 PDT 2006

On 10/10/06, Albert S. <albert.scherbinsky at rogers.com> wrote:

> I'm in awe at your ability to resist the lure of the
> Googleplex. Indexed video would be great. Indexed
> closed captions would imply partnership with the
> oldfangled TV content producers. If they get a
> ClueTube, they may be inclined to go it alone.

They've had video indexing for a while now, at least (publicly) since Jan. 2005:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/25/technology/25google.html?ex=1264395600&en=38050c26e4386221&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

That was what the original google video was all about, ages and ages ago.

> Can you
> capture closed captioning in any of the video file
> formats?

All of the significant ones have captioning; many have support for
advanced forms of captioning which not only capture dialogue but
information describing the scene.

Luis