copyright and censorship (was Re: [FoRK] NewTube VS OldTube)

Lucas Gonze < lgonze at panix.com > on > Thu Oct 12 16:59:25 PDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Albert Scherbinsky wrote:
> My understanding is that copyright is one form of IP.
> I also understand that the purpose of copyright is not
> the "right to share information with one another" if
> that property does not belong to the sharer. My
> understanding of property involves ownership. Property
> ownership is at the root of capitalism. I am a
> capitalist not a communist.

Copyright is not property in the US.  It is a tool to promote some
socially and economically desireable goals ("progress of the arts and
sciences").

Many people get confused about this issue, because copyright is often
referred to under the category of 'intellectual property', and the phrase
'intellectual property' falsely implies that copyright is an aspect of
property law.