[FoRK] Re: Argh! Help! Windows config mystery

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Fri Oct 13 07:44:21 PDT 2006

corinna wrote:
> Eugen Leitl <eugen <at> leitl.org> writes:

> Oh, well. I'll take this as a warning to be more serious about security :) And
> backups, too.

And Linux perhaps.

I switched my laptop back to Linux, downloaded a bunch of stuff, setup
an encrypted filesystem for work documents, and installed VMWare with
Windows XP.
I find myself needing Windows less than once a week now.

Ubuntu is the way to go now. I need to figure out how to dump a list of
the packages I've added so that I can duplicated the setup, but other
than that I'm pretty happy. The 3D accelerated desktop is pretty nifty,
but I don't use it all the time.\

My only concession is that although WiFi works well with Linux when you
get it set up, it is somewhat temperamental to get configured. I leave
it configured for home and then I use a DLink DWL-G730AP pocket
Router/AP/Client for other networks. That device is the coolest WiFi
hardware made to date by the way. They recently became cheap; I'd advise
picking up at least one.

sdw