[FoRK] flying hell:Flow Control

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Mon Oct 30 13:37:55 PST 2006

Flow control is used when an airport can't handle the volume of
arriving planes.  Instead of allowing airplanes to accumulate at the
destination airport, they aren't allowed to take off.  By delaying
departures, they hope to avoid landing delays.  The end result --
delays -- is probably the same, but it's thought to save fuel (no more
planes "stacked up" and circling the airport) and may be easier on
passengers -- if your incoming flight is late, you may still be able
to catch the outgoing flight when it's waiting for its takeoff slot.

Similar, in many ways, to XON/XOFF flow control for serial devices
(Control-S/Control-Q)