[FoRK] reas. conv. 10/31: The Good Society

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar < drernie at radicalcentrism.org > on > Tue Oct 31 17:08:54 PST 2006

Hi Matt,

On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Matt Jensen wrote:
> I'm not sure if your goal is a) to describe the reality of the
> world (e.g., deity X exists, historical event Y really happened),
> or b) to determine the best (most practical) way to get people to
> behave the way we'd like them to.  They're very different
> questions.   (I thought this thread was originally about a), but it
> sounds like you're currently talking more about b).)

To be honest, I don't know whether other people think we are discussing:

a) ontology -- what _is_ true
b) epistemology -- how can we _know_ what is true
c) ethics -- how can we know/do what is _good_

At this point, I'm still responding to the (perceived) claim that
atheism is "obviously" superior to Christianity by trying to define
exactly what that means...

-- Ernie P.