Re: [FoRK] Linux has won — long live the rest of the indemnified stack

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Thu Nov 2 20:37:38 PST 2006

On 11/2/06, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On 11/2/06, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > When MS produced Office for OS/X, did this tool also write an article
> > saying that Microsoft loved BSD?
>
> I should note that I'm equally angry at the 'sky is falling' nitwits.
> This is a substantively incomplete announcement that could mean any
> number of things- but 'MS loves Linux' and 'Novell sold out Linux'[1]
> aren't one of them. (Quite possibly they did sell out ODF, but that's
> a different story that no one seems to have written yet.)
>
> Luis
>
> [1] http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061102175508403

Finally, at least one substantive post on the business issues that is clueful:
http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/11/microsoft-and-novell-much-ado-about.html

Money quotes:
"This isn't about helping Linux (SUSE Linux or otherwise), but rather
about killing the only real threat to Microsoft's dominance in the
operating system market: Red Hat. "

"Microsoft clearly does not view Novell as a threat. You don't link up
with those that threaten to crush your business, not unless customers
are demanding it."

Luis