[FoRK] "Pseudo-Intelligence" & "You can no longer argue that...."

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Nov 6 11:40:41 PST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 12:43 PM, Matt Jensen wrote:

> The two basic choices are:
>
> A) A few years ago the press reported responsibly, but now they're
> on a "clear jihad" against Republicans.
>
> B) A few years ago the press gave Bush fawning deference, to avoid
> appearing "liberal", but now they're starting to report responsibly.
>
> How would an awakening Rip Van Winkle determine which choice is
> more accurate?
>
> I guess two ways are:
>
> 1) Do fact-checking and analysis yourself (e.g., is Iraq better/
> worse/the same as two years ago?)
>
> 2) Poll a variety of different sources for their opinions, as
> proxies for doing your own analysis.  (e.g., what does the public
> think, foreign press, foreign publics, academics, the military
> (both non-active duty and active duty), the soldiers in Iraq, the
> Iraqi public, etc etc).
>
> Of those groups listed, or any others, I can't think of one that
> supports choice A, outside of Administration officials and the
> right wing punditry.  Clue me in if I'm missing someone, though.
>
> So, Jeff, I'm particularly curious about web/wikipedia/blog
> analysis that can lend automated help to solutions 1) and 2) above.

Me, too.  Got no answers, just observations and a gut-feel that
there's some interesting stuff converging here.  I suspect that a
fuzzy mapping over e.g. Wikipedia and some Clickfeed-like thing (you
don't think we were just building that beast for fun back in '99, do
you? ;-) with some applied psuedo-intelligence might yield...
interesting results.

> I think an important component would be support for the temporal
> side, how the public/pundit understanding of events changes over
> time.  E.g., the Iraq War today is clearly not the same as the Iraq
> War in Spring, 2003.  At a finer resolution, "stay the course" now
> is very different from "stay the course" a year ago.

Yup.

Also note, but without references, all the Wikipedia "edit history
archaeology" stuff that's going on these days...

jb