[FoRK] Actionscript open sourcing

Matt Jensen < mattj at newsblip.com > on > Tue Nov 7 13:34:28 PST 2006

Quoting Kevin Elliott <K-Elliott at wiu.edu>:

> No.  It's about Mozilla getting a flash interpreter.  ...  As I read
> it, Adobe is trying to get the Flash language standardized (as
> ActionScript 4.0), and as part of that effort they've open sourced a
> bunch of code to facilitate integrating it into Mozilla.

Are you saying that based on this press release, or on external sources?

My reading of the press release is that Adobe is open sourcing the
guts of their high-performance ActionScript/JavaScript/ECMAScript
(call it AJE-Script) virtual machine, including JIT compiler.  The
reason for this (based on the press release) is that it makes
AJE-Script a faster, more viable development language for people to
consider.  Adobe's code is an order of magnitude faster than
Mozilla's, IIRC.

Adobe is pushing their AJE-Script-based FLEX tools as a server-push,
rich client alternative to AJAX. (Flash is currently client-pull; FLEX
adds server-push.)  If AJE-Script is seen as being faster and more
powerful than your grandfather's JavaScript, it will be adopted for
more business applications, gain more developers, etc., in a virtuous
circle.

I think that interpretation justifies Adobe open sourcing their
AJE-Script virtual machine.  Making the Flash client itself open
source would be a different proposition, I think.

-Matt Jensen
  http://mattjensen.com
  Seattle