[FoRK] Re: Argh! Help! Windows config mystery

Kragen Javier Sitaker < kragen at pobox.com > on > Tue Nov 7 21:10:13 PST 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:44:21 -0400, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Ubuntu is the way to go now. I need to figure out how to dump a list of
> the packages I've added so that I can duplicated the setup, but other
> than that I'm pretty happy.

dpkg -l is the easy way --- you may want to use something like
COLS=200 dpkg -l to ensure you get the whole package name.

> My only concession is that although WiFi works well with Linux when
> you get it set up, it is somewhat temperamental to get configured. I
> leave it configured for home and then I use a DLink DWL-G730AP
> pocket Router/AP/Client for other networks. That device is the
> coolest WiFi hardware made to date by the way. They recently became
> cheap; I'd advise picking up at least one.

I usually write short shell scripts of 'sudo iwconfig this and that'
to configure the wireless for particular people's networks --- but I
don't have to deal with WPA or LEAP or anything.

Which card are you using?  I'd like to find some more cards I can run
with only free software, like the Lucent WaveLAN Gold Card I use now,
which is likely to give up the ghost any month now.