[FoRK] Actionscript open sourcing

Simon Wistow < simon at thegestalt.org > on > Tue Nov 7 22:58:30 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:47:12AM -1000, Lucas Gonze said:
> I thought Actionscript was Adobe's version of Javascript/ Ecmascript?
> My lack of Flash skills is hurting me here.

My knowledge of this may be way out of date but, back in my Flash
reverse engineering days, ActionScript was far simpler than that.

Flash itself is made up of a fixed sized header then a series of tags
loosely based into two types - Define and Show. Every so often you'd
have a ShowFrame tag which have slightly magical properties.

The first versions of ActionScript were implemented by an ActionRecord
tag. You can see the specs here:

http://thegestalt.org/flash/stuff/SWF%20Reference/ActionScript.htm

Authoring interactive Flash was very much like programming for a Turing
Machine.

Around Flash 4 or 5 a new form of ActionScript appeared with a different
syntax based on ECMAscript. However, as far as I understand, it still
compiled down to the same byte code i.e the ActionRecord tags within the
SWF movie. I don't think this has changed since then but I could be
wrong.

Simon