[FoRK] iraq

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Thu Nov 9 01:11:04 PST 2006

Back sometime in spring, we were discussing Iraq with an iraqi who's
been in Switzerland for the last couple of decades[0].  I'd asked him
if he had any suggestions for what we ought to be doing there.

He said, "be fair".

At the time, I'd told him that was going to happen Real Soon Now.

Now, however, it's a little more likely[1].  What if we were to say
"OK, iff you all want to play one-man-one-vote, we'll stick around.
Not to pump oil, not to build billion-dollar embassies, not to see just
how much we can screw things up in limiting contact with Syria and
Iran[2] to black ops, not to help (those who we hope are) our friends
and punish (those we think are) our enemies, not to be just another
(albeit sorely lacking in homeboys) warlord gang, but only to sit on
things and help you all put a lid on those of you who seem to insist on
playing the very different game of one-less-man-one-less-vote."?

Given all that has been done thus far, it may not be the most credible
of offers, but could it be worse that what we've been doing?

-Dave

:: :: ::

[0] he went back to visit in 2003, but wouldn't now, given the current
situation.

[1] it would appear that we have not been the only ones following the
elections in our neighborhood.  Our local paper, which usually carries
all the grim news from the old country of rights trampled or caskets
shipped somewhere past page 12 in the international section, has stars
and stripes all over the cover[3] today.  super!

[2] I see they have an old Iran hand as SECDEF.  With Negroponte
presumably successfully staying off the habits, maybe Gates'll sell to
Ortega this time around, for symmetry?

[3] a position normally reserved for stories about either victorious
sports teams or corrupt politicians.