[FoRK] Dial up ISP in Oregon?

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Tue Nov 14 14:29:40 PST 2006

On 14 Nov 2006, at 22:18, Strata R. Chalup wrote:
> Sign up for a basic plan with emailthatworks.com.   They offer
> outbound SMTP as well as inbound POP or IMAP, and maintain high-
> number ports for your outbound SMTP connection.  Also support SSL
> inbound and SSL or TLS outbound, which makes me happy in
> coffeeshops.  Also webmail https.
>
> Disclaimer:  I'm an advisor, but I trust them with MY mail, which
> tells you something.

I should probably have made the original question clearer. I can
provide him with POP3 and SMTP but his ISP won't relay outbound mail
if it doesn't use the domain name they provide, are transparently
proxying SMTP so he can't get to my server on port 25 and seem to be
blocking a fair number of higher numbered ports. Also he's
fantastically technophobic so talking him through anything even
vaguely exotic (like setting up a new POP3 account in Outlook) scares
the living shit out of him :)

I've just signed up for the Oregon LUG mailing list - I assume
there'll be a friendly nerd or two on there who have a pet ISP they
can recommend.

Thanks all.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net