[FoRK] The drum beat continues, making exactly the wrong moves

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar < drernie at radicalcentrism.org > on > Thu Nov 16 10:45:22 PST 2006

Hi Stephen,

On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> "Openly gay" is passé of course.
> Now we're on to "openly Atheist": Leading intelligent, always
> right, and likable characters are often now "openly Atheist": Dr.
> Brennan on Bones, House on House, Gil Grissom on CSI, etc.

Much as I love the show House, and admire Hugh Laurie's character, I
think you're pushing it a bit to call him "likable." :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_House

> Time this week has a cover of: "God Vs. Science" which is a dueling
> interview of Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins.

I really enjoyed that, and thought Dr. Collins (if occasionally a bit
stuffier than I would like) did an excellent job of representing "my"
side of the issue.  Do you feel Dawkins captured your perspective
appropriately?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1555132,00.html

> So, what is the calculated response to all of this?

I think you give the religious right *far* too much credit if you
think they're capable of that level of calculation. :-P

If, on the other hand, you're just trying to convince people that the
leadership of the religious right is hypocritical, homophobic, self-
righteous, self-serving and untrustworthy -- well, then I completely
agree with you, and I suspect Jesus would too:

http://homepage.mac.com/drernie/iblog/B48962342/C1715611479/
E20061116071233/index.html

Even though I'm one of them.

Cheers,