House Rules Re: [FoRK] The drum beat continues

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar < drernie at radicalcentrism.org > on > Thu Nov 16 12:11:16 PST 2006

Hey Stephen,

On Nov 16, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> Much as I love the show House, and admire Hugh Laurie's character,
>> I think you're pushing it a bit to call him "likable." :-)
> Well, I like him!  You have to look through the gruffness.  I'd
> rather have someone plainly combative but all up front than sugary
> but stabbing you in the back.

Actually, if I've been keeping track, House is both combative *and*
will stab you in the back. Just ask Wilson. :-)

I do agree that he's a lovable character, but I think the show does
an excellent job of questioning his dark side (as when Wilson mocked
his atheism as self-serving) as well as highlighting his overriding
virtues.  When watching the show, I find myself both rooting for
_and_ against him, which is what makes it such great television.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_House

>> Science" which is a dueling interview of Richard Dawkins and
>> Francis Collins.
>> I really enjoyed that, and thought Dr. Collins (if occasionally a
>> bit stuffier than I would like) did an excellent job of
>> representing "my" side of the issue.&nbsp; Do you feel Dawkins
>> captured your perspective appropriately?
> I didn't disagree with Dawkins at all and I did with Collins, if
> that is what you mean.  I have additional arguments to those
> presented.

Actually, I meant something different.  The vibe I got from Dawkins
is that he really despised religious people, like with his "clowns"
comment.  At the very least, this seems deeply ironic for someone
who's condemning *religious* folk for being intolerant and irrational.

>> If, on the other hand, you're just trying to convince people that
>> the leadership of the religious right is hypocritical, homophobic,
>> self-righteous, self-serving and untrustworthy -- well, then I
>> completely agree with you, and I suspect Jesus would too:
>>
> Amen!
>
>> Even though I'm one of them.
>>
> Good luck with that.  ;-)

Thanks. :-)

See, from where I sit the immorality and narcissism of religious
leaders is indistinguishable from that of Dawkins and his ilk. I'm
sure it is very comforting for him -- or them -- to think that all
the evil in the world is because of "those other people".

I know better.

Love,
Ernie "the self-righteous, self-serving, narcissistic hypocrite"
Prabhakar