[FoRK] Cheap Electronics Dissection Project

Kragen Javier Sitaker < kragen at pobox.com > on > Fri Nov 17 10:21:03 PST 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:17:49 +0200, Dave Long wrote:
> > There's good voice-recognition software that supposedly needs about
> > 15MIPS (ViaVoice) to run in real-time, and you may not even need
> > real-time.  I don't know how much bandwidth to how much memory
> > speech-recognition needs, though.
>
> Looks like a fair amount: ViaVoice not only specs system memory
> (64-96M) but also 256K of L2 cache.  There are some people nearby
> working on automatic segmentation/speaker recognition/tagging and
> search, etc., and they use serious crunch for their applications, but
> maybe they'd have some ideas for what sorts of things could be done
> cheaply.

That's unfortunate.

There might be some tradeoffs available between memory use, CPU use,
vocabulary size, market size (as restricted by patents) and
well-known-ness --- Walsh transforms might be "good enough" but not
well-investigated, but need less memory, for example.

Maybe I should ask Eric Brewer.