[FoRK] Cheap Electronics Dissection Project

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Fri Nov 17 11:13:15 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:04:41PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:

> I wonder how much of it could be offloaded from the CPU onto the GPU's
> pixel shader.

Probably a lot, but these things have giant appetites in terms
of silicon real estate and power dissipation footprint. I believe
Kragen was looking at cheap hardware, which would seem to ask
for an ASIC. I have this nice "Analogue Neural VLSI -- a pulse
stream approach" book from 1994 sitting on the shelf, which would be
probably about the ballpark, if we'd mapped the shallow end
of the auditory pipeline in sufficient detail so that the
design needn't be in flux. But nowadays they'd rather throw ~100 W
and 10^9 of transistors on the problem, and hope that the
next structure shrink would bring practicability (and portability,
where small energy footprint is crucial).